My Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, April 3, 2009

    The Apologetics Code...

    I recently blogged on this topic of "Apologetics belonging in Emerging Youth Ministry" and I said I would continue the discussion.

    This is that continuation.

    Since my last blog, I actually heard a sermon on the verses used last time which was pretty enlightening upon this subject. The sermon was titled: "Suffering to Bless" by Mark Driscoll. He took 1 Peter 3:8-17 and unpacked it for about an hour. I won't give you the whole sermon laid out, but I will give you the last point.

    Mark throughout the sermon was discussing how we will suffer for the Gospel, or in general. Suffering is a part of life. He stated that this Scripture gives us 4 counter-weights in which to outweigh our suffering so that we may bless in the midst of it.

    Weight #4 was Evangelism. (1 Peter 3:15-16). Below are his notes on this point:

    Weight #4: Suffering Makes Evangelism Possible (1 Pet. 3:15–16)

    • Suffer in such a way that you learn about Jesus and that other people may learn about Jesus too.
    • Many Christians are good at winning arguments but could care less about winning people. Build respect and trust with people, and answer their questions with humility and honesty.
    • People want to see if Christianity works, as demonstrated in relationships and community.
    • Suffering allows us to be a humble, loving, considerate, respectful, gentle people that embody the gospel.

    Community Group Question #5: Who can you evangelize? How?


    I have to be honest...I love listening to Mark Driscoll preach and when he got to the bolded sub-points, I was shouting: "YES! Preach!"


    Our teens need to hear this message. They need to know that evangelizing was never meant to be like a Jehovah's Witness, or a Mormon who goes door to door. Those types bug people in today's society. The reason? The people they are trying to talk to don't know them!


    Say for example you go up to someone on the street and say: "I have something amazing to tell you about your life..." What would that persons response be? Probably something like this: "How can you tell me about my life, when I don't know you?"

    Then how can we tell them about their future life?

    This 1 Peter passage is clear-cut on how and when we should have an answer ready, when people know us. When people see us suffering, yet for some reason able to take the blows. Always be ready to give a answer.

    I know I've hit this piece pretty well. I am going to continue to unpack this, because it is vital that we GET THIS RIGHT. We can't shove Jesus down peoples throats, we have to live Jesus, show Jesus and then be questioned about Jesus!


    *If you want to read the notes on the whole sermon as well as listen to the sermon, go here: "Suffering to Bless"*


    0 comments:

    Post a Comment