My Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    Thursday, January 14, 2010

    Deep Teaching

    My last post on my Thoughts on Deep Teaching to Middle School got my mind thinking about how I teach and the level I go to when I teach.

    If you know anything about me, I love to preach, teach and communicate. It's the thing that gets me up in the morning, the thing that excites me most about ministry...so how do I teach to youth?

    As I fought for significantly in my previous post, I am a proponent of deep teaching, even to Middle Schoolers. I was reading Total Church the other day and came across this quote that resonated with my heart for deep teaching:

    "It's easy to suppose that attractive activities are the key to successful youth work. It is easy to suppose that the corresponding measure of success is weekly attendance. But God does his work through his Word. The Key to successful youth work is the Bible. This is how God does his work in young people. And the measure of success is not attendance but gospel fruit in their lives" (Total Church pg. 184)

    This is a rough quote, because its true. Our teaching must be rooted in the Word of God in order to meet the needs of our teens! So many times we simply try to make topics of teaching and sadly instead of going deep in the Word to do so, we end up spouting feel-good platitudes and statements like: "don't have sex" without any real Biblical emphasis behind it.

    There are plenty of Scriptures about abstinence, teach from them.

    The Bible has a Word for every situation! I love youth ministry and I love teenagers so we must give them the richest meat possible. I'm not saying I do this all the time, I fall short too, I'm not trying to be a judgemental legalist, I'm simply saying what I've been convicted of myself and sharing that I think its not just me, but everyone that needs to hear this message.

    Our Teens are craving deep truth from deep teaching, by the Power of the Holy Spirit, let's give it to em!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment