My Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    Monday, August 30, 2010

    Implimenting Small Groups

      I may be a young guy but I’m not so young to think I’ve invented the small group idea. Nor do I think that what I’m going to say will shock you so much that you break down like a charismatic and start convulsing on the floor. I do think however it’s worthwhile to share what God has done recently in my world so that my story in turn may be a helpful one for you in your context.


    In August I moved from a small church to a big church. My old Youth Group tapped out at 50 kids and now in my new position, I find myself in a Youth Group triple that size. In my old ministry, small groups were where it was at. We would take a group of teens and hash out the message and really work on it. It was a system that worked both for growth and outreach; it created a sense of ownership of the lesson/sermon (whatever you choose to call that thing where we talk up front to the teens) for the teens. It cultivated an atmosphere of authenticity and a wrestling I never experienced before with teenagers! This system was effective with Middle School and High School alike.

    Shortly before I moved church positions I read a book by Marko (Mark Oestreicher) called Youth Ministry 3.0 in which he celebrates and encourages Youth Groups to “Grow Small”. The small group paradigm that we set up did just that because it forced people to be in more intimate groups; groups in which each person belonged and had something to bring to the group. Marko’s book inspired me to go into my new position “thinking small”, so you know what I did? I set up the same small group paradigm in my current (significantly larger) ministry that I had in my older (smaller) ministry.

    When I brought the idea to my Ministry team, they said: “We’ve done that before. In fact we do it once a month.” My new leaders thought I was crazy to have our students (which are Urban teens) get into small groups and discuss the lesson/sermon. Most thought it wouldn’t work, many scoffed and said: “It’s gonna be bad” and others said: “We can try it, but let’s not be too hopeful.”

    I felt compelled to jump in and do it. I developed the small group questions 12 weeks ahead of the talks, I worked hard and fast to push the students into the small groups. I encouraged our leaders, got approval from my ministry team and made a big change quickly.

    Taking this plunge has paid off in many ways. I will be the first to admit that some of our teens still struggle to remain on topic and some honestly dip out of small groups altogether. However, I have seen some significant things happen during these small group times. These teens have discussed things that are going on deep inside of them that in the larger group could’ve never happened. Allowing this time also helped our leaders develop more meaningful relationships with the kids; they weren’t just there as police anymore (as they sometimes feel), they had a meaningful role in the shepherding of these teens…urban and suburban alike. The leaders began to see the importance of these small groups and have enjoyed discussing the lesson/sermon in more depth.

    I am not saying: “Copy what I do” but I must agree with Marko that thinking small is where we need to start moving as Youth Pastors…this I have found is powerfully and effectively done through the small groups, both in a smaller church setting and now in a larger church setting.

    For too long we youth pastors, (myself included) have been obsessed with numbers. We’re guilty of manipulating kids to help “grow the numbers”, yet we miss a gigantic part of our calling: Discipleship. When we worry about the numbers and “getting kids saved” we aren’t fulfilling discipleship, we are simply using our influence to make people come to Christ (which if we look deeper probably wasn’t a true conversion even though we count it in our numbers).

    This isn’t to say that I’m against evangelism, because I’m all for it, we just need to then disciple these teens and we need to bring Jesus to them in such a way that it’s authentic and not fake. I feel that this is best done in the “small” rather than the “large”.

    So, now how do you go about implementing small groups in your context? Here are some helping thoughts to get you on your way.

    - Know your context- get to know how your kids interact best in smaller settings. Should you do small groups the night of the talk? Should you do them another night? Should you do lesson-based discussions or something different? These are all questions you need to answer first

    - Ask good questions- Yes or No questions are no good. Time needs to be taken to craft thought provoking questions. If you design 5 questions and they’ve only gotten to answer 3, you’ve succeeded! If they breeze through the 5 questions and are picking their nose (or their neighbor’s nose) some work needs to be set aside in order to develop better questions.

    - Think small- to quote Marko-“smaller is better.” Try to force smaller groups and not always stay large. Also concentrate on being small, not “growing larger”

    - Train your leaders- This is where I need work. Our leaders need our help to guide them and show them how to be good question askers and good discussion guiders. This is on us to help them improve

    - Be Ahead- in order to be effective with small groups they have to be done with intentionality. It’s easy for us to “wing it” especially when we are 1 of 3 leaders…but don’t sell this short! Take time to blueprint out your lessons 2, 4, maybe even 8 weeks in advance. Then you have good questions and your leaders know where they’re going!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment