My Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, November 19, 2010

    Uncommon Games and Icebreakers- Review

      As a Youth Pastor, one of the most annoying things for me to do is make up games week after week.  I love to be creative, I love to push the boundaries, but some weeks I lack motivation and quite frankly come to hate making up games.

      I used to be a "Lone Ranger" and try to develop all my curriculum and make up all my games...I've come to grips that although that is fun and can really challenge me, I don't always have the time to make all of that happen from scratch!

      I'm sure my sentiments are felt widely from those of you reading this.  I'm sure like myself you've tried a ton of game books, but some were harder than others to follow and a ton of the games required a ton of time to pull off.  Jim Burns has done a great job of making this game thing easier by writing the Uncommon Games & Icebreakers book.

      Not all the games are off the charts awesome, not all of them are easy, cheesy, peasy to get done but most of the games in here are pretty solid, well thought out and fairly easy to pull off in good time.  I enjoyed seeing some of the old classics, alongside some new ones.  My absolute FAVORITE part of this book is that it comes with a CD which you can print off all the instructions and details for each game!  I like to keep my leaders in the loop and if I can email them the directions for a game ahead of time, they love it...this makes that easier than ever.  Plus, if you have an intern (or yourself) setting up the game, you can easily print off the list of things needed and how to set it up.

      I appreciate the time this took to make and think it is a great resource for any youth pastor/leader to have.  I also like Les Christies book, but this one was much easier to follow and pull off then Les' book and the CD included is just plain amazing!

      If you're looking for a games resource and want something convenient , yet fun this is the resource for you!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment